Skip to main content

February 2014 - ice castles and love

I love that Alexa loves books so much.  One of her favorites is Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (thanks, Anne!), which we will even sometimes recite together from memory while we're driving in the car.  A couple weeks ago I caught her doing it with random things around the house like her penguin bath toy.  She was holding him and saying, "penguin, penguin what do you see?"  In addition to books, she currently also loves Disney princesses and listening to the Disney Pandora station.  I came downstairs the other day and she was loudly singing along to "Let's Get Down to Business" from Mulan.  She was singing word for word and waving around her plastic sword from the dress up box.  She looked at me and said, "I have to get down to business, Mom!"  Yes, you do.  And it's awesome.

Oh, and another princess story.  We had some weird warm weather spikes in February that even brought out a few flowers, and Alexa picked one from outside and came in proclaiming it was "a flower from her one true love."  Haha.  She continues to do well at learning some Spanish and is increasing her vocab little by little.  We even created a YouTube playlist of Frozen songs in Spanish, so that is a hit and she loves reading some of her Spanish books with us.  When Kyle left for work the other day she said "Te Mamo! Drive safe to work!"  (Te amo means I love you, but I love that she said "mamo" instead).

She has recently started wanting to do pull ups with us and she's actually really good.  I was impressed.  Here's a video of her doing 10 pull ups and I wish I kept recording because right after she said "whew, I'm sweaty." :)


Alexa continues to be somewhat of a drama queen and loves being a big sister.  The other night at dinner she said to Tyler, "Clap for me, Tyler!  [I'm eating and] I'm amazing!"  She's a humble one, that Alexa.

We had a really, really fun time at the Midway Ice Castles (thanks, Casey and Jess!) before they closed in February.  It's a manmade Ice Castle that they "grow" every night after they close.  We even happened to go on accident when they had Frozen characters there.  They were beautiful and we all loved it.  They even freeze LEDs into the ice so that it changes color and lights up at night.  They had to close early because of the unusually warm weather, but it sounds like they will be back in 2015.









I've had to work longer hours over the past few weeks because we lost our HR Director in early February and I've had to fill in a lot.  I've missed the daily interactions with employees and it's nice to do some of that work again, but it's hard to have had so much to suddenly catch up on and be away from home more.  It's getting better now, but we also have our huge annual convention coming up in April that will require a lot of my time.  The kids were not fans of the change and both were blubbering messes for a few days when I would come home.  But they both run to me as soon as I come in the door.  I miss them so much while I'm gone and I love that they're so excited to see me!

Tyler has been signing more over the last few weeks.  He will sometimes fold his arms by himself for prayer, say more, please, and thank you in addition to all done.  He also says "hi" now and I love his cute little baby voice.  His big news is that he also started walking just after his birthday!  Not only is he walking, but he's apparently going to be a doctor so we should be well taken care of.


Here's another Tyler video.  I didn't really catch it, but Kyle was doing his Donald Duck voice and Tyler thought it was awesome so started imitating him!


Kyle said that Tyler loves to do yoga with him because he thinks it's a game.  When Kyle does any poses where there's an angle and he's not flat on the ground, Tyler thinks it's hilarious to crawl back and forth under him.  Tyler has also really taken an interest in coloring lately.  He surprised me by taking a crayon from Alexa and coloring on a piece of paper -- just like that while on my lap!  He continues to blow me a way by the stuff he just figures out on his own.  I swear we sat and practiced all of this stuff with Alexa -- stairs, coloring, feeding herself with a spoon, etc.  He just kind of picks things up and randomly does them really well all of the sudden.

We had a traumatic instance a couple weeks ago when Tyler locked himself in the bathroom!  I was playing upstairs with Alexa and Tyler and he walked out of their room into the bathroom.  I stood up to follow him and he opened the vanity drawer right then, which just so happens to be right in front of the door.  I started begging him to close it, but by then he was pulling down bath toys to babble to.  I stood there talking to him for what seemed like forever, slowly getting more panicked.  Alexa sensed my panic and started crying and saying "I need my Tyler!"  I couldn't take the door off the hinges because they are on the inside of the door, so finally I took out the door handle, stuck a crow bar through the hole, and wiggled it until I got the drawer to close.  I don't recommend it and I'm tempted to glue that vanity drawer shut.

Aren't they the cutest?!
I was changing his diaper on my lap while in the car (parked) this week and he saw himself in the windshield and immediately started waving and smiling.  He smiled, waved and giggled the whole time I was changing him.  He's so happy all the time and I love it!


I have to brag about Kyle for a moment.  He came home from work on the 13th (the night before Valentine's Day) at almost 1am, and then proceeded to make homemade scones and glaze for us to have for breakfast.  We didn't have a heart-shaped cookie cutter, so he made one.  At 1am.  He stayed up until at least 2 and then woke up at 6am for work.  He also made a huge, so so good dinner, sent me chocolate dipped strawberries at work, and other amazingness.  The kids loved the scones and I was so impressed that he made the cookie cutter himself.  Who knew that being a handy man could translate to heart-shaped cookie cutters.  He's a keeper.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

stairs and a silly little girl....

I forgot to mention a few August updates in my last post, and have some more Alexa stories (as always)...First, Kyle (with the help of Uncle Paul and Todd--thank you!!) finished the stairs and they look awesome!!  He completely rebuilt them (ripped them down all the way to the drywall). Second, both Kyle and I were supposed to be in this work athletic competition in August, but I had to back out for obvious reasons.  Kyle still did the tennis and basketball tournaments and made me oh so proud.  He even got this funny little basketball trophy for taking third place.  The other tournaments that week included horseshoes, ping pong, foosball, golf, Wii dance, volleyball, and a triathlon. We went to Ikea for breakfast last Saturday (so delicious and cheap!) and bought Alexa a stuffed puppy while we were there.  She now takes it everywhere continuously saying "puppy, puppy, puppy!"  Speaking of the puppy, she even dragged it through toilet water last week.  Yes, you

December 2015 - Christmas in Indiana

Merry Christmas! We hit the road a couple of days after Granny's funeral to make the trek to Indiana for Christmas. The  kids did great the whole way.  I think it was harder on the adults!  We left at 4am and the first 8 hours were really bad due to wind and snow.  I-70 was closed unless you had chains and we were only a couple of hours in when we passed a sign saying I-80 was closed due to an avalanche warning.  Kyle screamed "Noooo!" and woke up the kids :).  We were so relieved to have Wyoming behind us!!  And we were very glad to have been driving an SUV with all-wheel-drive instead of our Toyota Matrix.  We got a new Mazda CX-9 only a week before the trip so that we can fit baby #3. We pounded out 14 hours the first day and then stopped for the night in Nebraska before continuing for another 10ish hours the next day.  The kids thought that sleeping in a hotel was amazing.  The weather on the drive home was clear and wonderful. although Tyler did poop h

July 2023 - Baby Ian

We had a blast at the Stadium of Fire Journey concert with Sara and Jason.  We also hosted a Swingle 4th of July party at our house.  Grandpa Swingle said that's the first time he's actually been able to light real fireworks in over a decade.  We decided we should make it a tradition to have them come up every year (or move here ;). Baby Ian was born and he is HUGE!  11 lb 1 oz.  Melissa's water broke at 7:30am, contractions started after that, and he was born at home with a team of paramedics with them in the outbuilding at 9am.   Fun fact: he was born on Ian Beagley's birthday and they share the same name. We spent an entire Saturday pulling down and cutting up dead trees.  We rented a wood splitter and went to town.  The kids were a big help.  We did our annual reading challenge to earn tickets to Lagoon.  Our rule is 1000 pages for every grade level finished, has to be during summer, and Alexa and Tyler both had to write a book report as well.  The kids did great! M