Skip to main content

Tyler!

So, I figured we should write out the crazy story of this little boy.  Nothing like Alexa's by the way, except for the fact that pushing didn't take long.  With Alexa, I was 3cm for three weeks and 80% effaced by the third week, my water broke, I had crazy gangbuster contractions for 2.5 hours, pushed for a half hour, and she was out.  With Tyler, I had painful contractions for days.  I hardly slept Tuesday night because they were at least every 5 minutes for about 3 hours, and so painful that I really had to focus and breathe through them.  They tapered off by like 5 am, but were still really painful though less frequent.  Contractions continued Wednesday and Thursday, painful but inconsistent.  At my doctor's appointment Thursday morning, I was 5cm and fully effaced, so we knew the baby would come fast.  The doctor said to just come right away when my water broke.  Good plan. 

By Friday morning, I was really sick of all the painful contractions for days and lack of sleep because of them every night, so we started on the have a baby checklist by going on a long walk, eating spicy food for lunch, etc.  By mid-afternoon, I was still having occasional painful contractions but nothing seemed to be happening or changing, so we decided to give castor oil a try.  Kyle went to the store with Alexa, and by the time he got back 30-40 minutes later, I had more regular (every 3-5 minutes or so) contractions.  I told him to go ahead and call someone to take Alexa and we would see if the contractions stayed regular before trying castor oil.  So, he called Todd to come down, who said he would be there in 20 minutes.  Within 10 minutes, I suddenly felt like I needed to push.  Kyle's response, "No!  Wait!"  haha.  He ran Alexa over to our next door neighbor's until Todd got there and got the car started.  By the time he came back to the room literally 1 minute later, I was standing in the doorway and positive that the head was coming out.  Turns out it was the amniotic sac with the head right behind it, but regardless we were out of time.  Kyle said he would carry me to the car and that we *would* make it to the hospital, but I told him we were too late and to call 911.  He was not convinced and really tried to get me out of the room, poor guy.  I turned around and grabbed the foot of the bed and the baby started coming!  Kyle tucked his phone between his head and shoulder as he talked to the 911 responder while his hands were out to catch the baby.  It took a couple pushes to get out the amniotic sac, the entire head came out in one push, and then out slid the rest of the baby.  The baby was still in the amniotic sac, so Kyle had to pull it off.  He said, "holy cow, this baby is slippery!" right before the sac hit the ground, and I totally thought he dropped the baby.  Ahhh.  It was so fun to hear him say, "It's a boy!" with so much excitement in his voice and just the two of us there in the room. It was a very special moment for our little family, and crazy that it was just us there to experience it.

So, Kyle was there kneeling on our bedroom floor holding the baby, I was standing at the foot of our bed, and the paramedics arrived about 30 seconds later.  They sent 3 ambulances and a fire truck, so we had about 12 paramedics (if not more?) in our bedroom.  They had me go to our bed and put in an IV while they checked Tyler's vitals.  We were incredibly lucky that he cried right away after coming out, and was completely healthy and doing well.  They put me in the ambulance on a stretcher and Kyle got to hold him on the way to the hospital.  Oh, and when they first handed Tyler to me, he totally peed all over me.  First of many times I predict.  It was funny when they were deciding what time he was born because no one knew.  The paramedics said, "well, it's 4:55 and we've been here about 5 minutes, so let's say 4:50.  Sound good?"

We got to the hospital and just kind of hung out in a room for an hour or so until they stitched me up.  I tore worse with Tyler because of the amniotic sac not breaking before coming out.  We were at a different hospital than with Alexa (Timp instead of Utah Valley), and there were so many things that our spazzy nurses did that we had to laugh at.  While the doctor was stitching me up, the nurses just walked away and left him.  He looked around and commented on it, then went into the hallway and said, "Are you my nurse?  Where's my nurse?"  Haha.  And then I asked for a pillow, and they told me they weren't sure if they had any.  Let's see, what else?  Oh yeah, they took two vials of blood and then lost it, so they had to retake my blood a couple hours later.  I had to ask them for a hospital gown after being there for a few hours and only wearing a t-shirt and a blanket over my legs.  They also ran out of bands for the babies, so they had to wait until the next day when a patient left to use their baby's band (they have a built-in monitor thing).  Then there were tons of things care-related that they forgot about, forms they never brought in, etc. that I found out about later.  Kyle's favorite thing (sarcastic) was the chicken cordon bleu we ordered for dinner--the dining service covered it in nacho cheese sauce.  So gross.  I want to meet the person who thought that was a good idea! On that note, here are a load of pictures...




Tyler wasn't allowed in the nursery because he was born at home, so he got to hang out with us in the room, have all his test done in there, etc. Lots of people have asked where we came up with the name Tyler Joseph Swingle. Kyle actually suggested it out of the blue, and it's one we agreed on. We like using family/scripture names for the middle name, and Tyler just sounded cute. I know, we're really complex.


Everyone kept commenting on how normal his head was compared to the other babies on the floor, haha. 



First hug from Alexa




At home right after he was born.  One of the paramedics took this picture on his phone and emailed it to us.

A BIG thank you to Todd for coming to the rescue at such short notice and staying with Alexa!!


Going home!





The 911 recording--

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7S6wv2Plk92S1BmVWtNbXMzbFk/view?usp=sharing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

stairs and a silly little girl....

I forgot to mention a few August updates in my last post, and have some more Alexa stories (as always)...First, Kyle (with the help of Uncle Paul and Todd--thank you!!) finished the stairs and they look awesome!!  He completely rebuilt them (ripped them down all the way to the drywall). Second, both Kyle and I were supposed to be in this work athletic competition in August, but I had to back out for obvious reasons.  Kyle still did the tennis and basketball tournaments and made me oh so proud.  He even got this funny little basketball trophy for taking third place.  The other tournaments that week included horseshoes, ping pong, foosball, golf, Wii dance, volleyball, and a triathlon. We went to Ikea for breakfast last Saturday (so delicious and cheap!) and bought Alexa a stuffed puppy while we were there.  She now takes it everywhere continuously saying "puppy, puppy, puppy!"  Speaking of the puppy, she even dragged it through toilet water last week.  Yes, you

December 2015 - Christmas in Indiana

Merry Christmas! We hit the road a couple of days after Granny's funeral to make the trek to Indiana for Christmas. The  kids did great the whole way.  I think it was harder on the adults!  We left at 4am and the first 8 hours were really bad due to wind and snow.  I-70 was closed unless you had chains and we were only a couple of hours in when we passed a sign saying I-80 was closed due to an avalanche warning.  Kyle screamed "Noooo!" and woke up the kids :).  We were so relieved to have Wyoming behind us!!  And we were very glad to have been driving an SUV with all-wheel-drive instead of our Toyota Matrix.  We got a new Mazda CX-9 only a week before the trip so that we can fit baby #3. We pounded out 14 hours the first day and then stopped for the night in Nebraska before continuing for another 10ish hours the next day.  The kids thought that sleeping in a hotel was amazing.  The weather on the drive home was clear and wonderful. although Tyler did poop h

July 2023 - Baby Ian

We had a blast at the Stadium of Fire Journey concert with Sara and Jason.  We also hosted a Swingle 4th of July party at our house.  Grandpa Swingle said that's the first time he's actually been able to light real fireworks in over a decade.  We decided we should make it a tradition to have them come up every year (or move here ;). Baby Ian was born and he is HUGE!  11 lb 1 oz.  Melissa's water broke at 7:30am, contractions started after that, and he was born at home with a team of paramedics with them in the outbuilding at 9am.   Fun fact: he was born on Ian Beagley's birthday and they share the same name. We spent an entire Saturday pulling down and cutting up dead trees.  We rented a wood splitter and went to town.  The kids were a big help.  We did our annual reading challenge to earn tickets to Lagoon.  Our rule is 1000 pages for every grade level finished, has to be during summer, and Alexa and Tyler both had to write a book report as well.  The kids did great! M