Skip to main content

Take time to dance....

We've had a fun, busy last couple of weeks.  Here's proof (Alexa fell asleep on Kyle's lap while we were talking on the phone to my parents tonight--loudly, on speaker phone).  Sweet little girl.

We've all kind have been sick, first Kyle, then Alexa, and now me.  Just the typical nasty cold going around, and Alexa still has a little cough and I am just at the beginning so the sinus headache is feeling really good right now.  Not.  I looked through my doctor's notes from Alexa to remind me what I'm allowed to take while pregnant and went through all our medicine in our cold section this morning, and I can't even take Airborne, let alone anything else we have.  Hence the 2.5 hour nap this afternoon.  That's the best medicine I can get, and it was glorious.

Speaking of being pregnant, I promised Malori that I would post a belly picture, so we took one on our walk today.


I am definitely showing much earlier with this little one than with Alexa, which is only to be expected.  Kyle says I'm like 3 months ahead in comparison (showed at 4 months like I showed at 7 months with Alexa), which is probably true looking back.  I didn't even wear maternity clothes with her until the last month and a half.  It's interesting to see the changes with a second since we've also been able to feel the baby a lot earlier.  Kyle felt this wee one for the first time at about 18-19 weeks versus 22, and I was able to feel the baby for weeks before that versus like 20 weeks or so.  Today marks 24 weeks.

Alexa continues to talk more and more, and amazes us with how smart and cute she is.  I know, I still need to get a video of her talking and doing animal sounds.  On the to-do list.  Last week we were hanging out in her room playing with her baby doll, and she was happily saying and pointing out all the body parts on her doll.  She said "knee" out loud for the first time, so I said "yay, Alexa, high five!"  She promptly grabbed the doll's hand and made it give her a high five and said "yay!" with a smile.  I love that little girl (even though she left me hanging with my hand in the air).

She's getting a lot better at saying "please" and "thank you" all the time, and she said "love you" to Grandma and Grandpa Swingle when they said goodbye on Skype today.  Seriously adorable.

Now some special stories from the last couple weeks...I went and got her from her nap and she was carrying around her blanket (pretty normal these days--it goes almost everywhere with her), but she totally tripped on it in the hallway and biffed it hard core.  I picked her up and cuddled in the hall until she stopped crying, at which point she got back up and ran straight into the bathroom door.  Poor child.  On Wednesday we had a very traumatic experience.  I went to grab something in the kitchen, so the sneaky one ran into the bathroom and shut the door, and then quickly opened the drawer right in front of the door so I couldn't open it!  I began to panic because I realized that there was no way for me to get in there!  The drawer is literally right in front of the door so I couldn't even crack it to get at the hinges and take the door off, or pry through and close the drawer, etc.  I tried taking the door knob off with a screw driver in the hope that I could reach through and close the drawer or something.  I kept calmly telling her to close the door, and she just stood there hysterically crying.  I finally gave up and called Kyle because I couldn't think of anything else to do.  He offered to come home from work and kick the door in, but right when I explained the situation to him, Alexa closed the drawer and I quickly opened the door.  She was drenched in tears and so very upset.

We've been practicing eating with silverware for the last couple months, and tonight she fed herself her first entire bowl of soup. She scarfed it all by herself and did super well!  She can stab things with a fork just fine, but normally we scoop things on the spoon and then she feeds herself with it, but tonight she did it all.  I was amazed that she wasn't more of a mess.  She was about half way done below and her face and the tray are so clean.  Good job, kid.


Kyle and I finally got callings.  He is Cub Scout Master, which I know he will absolutely love.  I was made 2nd counselor in the primary presidency, so Lexi is now in nursery as of last Sunday with early approval from the Primary President.  She LOVED it, and even drew us a picture, which seriously made me almost cry because it hit me at that moment that she's so grown up and already drawing us pictures.  Sniff sniff. I was honestly fighting back tears.  Yes, I know it's chicken scratch/scribble. I blame it on being pregnant.


It's been great to have both mom and dad out here these last few weeks.  I'm going to have to get Kathi to go on long vacations more often!  We loved spending time with both of them and even got Grandma Sweeny to come eat dinner at our house!

To end, some random pictures of Alexa:


This is her teddy bear's hat, but she loves taking it off and wearing it around the house

Her car seat has been in our living room since we switched it out for a convertible seat a few weeks ago, and she
loves sitting in it and piling blankets and stuffed animals on top of herself.

I feel like she has a really long tongue :)?!

And, if you want even more pictures, here's a link to her baby book I made this month.

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=4b3d00b1d5dc3492&sid=1AaMmbls1aM3Eg

Click the link above, and just under the picture of her click "view photo book." Ignore the login part completely.

Oh, and here's a great video of her dancing with Kyle and Mike last Sunday.  I was inside and could hear her shrieking and giggling, so I had to come out and see what was so fun.  I was not disappointed.


Also, Kyle requested that we do some Halloween decorations this year, so we made some of our own and found some at D.I.  He is used to fun decorations for every holiday, but I'm pretty sure we only ever decorated for Christmas, and even that was pretty simple and we mostly just did a tree and a few lit windows.  Anyway, here's our beginning of Halloween decorations.
Group effort - Kyle cut and sanded the blocks, and I painted 
I did LOTs of crafts during General Conference and this was one of them

Alexa loves playing with these pumpkin lights


Kyle says my monster door is "cute and girly," and not at all scary :)


Comments

  1. i would say your monster door is pretty scary. i mean, he has stitches going over part of his eye! ouchy. I love your updates! we see you guys fairly often, but these are things that you guys probably don't think about telling us while we're with you.
    we had that cold, too, and i'm just getting over it. can you take anything like nyquil? that's all i took, and it helps a ton.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

stairs and a silly little girl....

I forgot to mention a few August updates in my last post, and have some more Alexa stories (as always)...First, Kyle (with the help of Uncle Paul and Todd--thank you!!) finished the stairs and they look awesome!!  He completely rebuilt them (ripped them down all the way to the drywall). Second, both Kyle and I were supposed to be in this work athletic competition in August, but I had to back out for obvious reasons.  Kyle still did the tennis and basketball tournaments and made me oh so proud.  He even got this funny little basketball trophy for taking third place.  The other tournaments that week included horseshoes, ping pong, foosball, golf, Wii dance, volleyball, and a triathlon. We went to Ikea for breakfast last Saturday (so delicious and cheap!) and bought Alexa a stuffed puppy while we were there.  She now takes it everywhere continuously saying "puppy, puppy, puppy!"  Speaking of the puppy, she even dragged it through toilet water last week.  Yes, you

December 2015 - Christmas in Indiana

Merry Christmas! We hit the road a couple of days after Granny's funeral to make the trek to Indiana for Christmas. The  kids did great the whole way.  I think it was harder on the adults!  We left at 4am and the first 8 hours were really bad due to wind and snow.  I-70 was closed unless you had chains and we were only a couple of hours in when we passed a sign saying I-80 was closed due to an avalanche warning.  Kyle screamed "Noooo!" and woke up the kids :).  We were so relieved to have Wyoming behind us!!  And we were very glad to have been driving an SUV with all-wheel-drive instead of our Toyota Matrix.  We got a new Mazda CX-9 only a week before the trip so that we can fit baby #3. We pounded out 14 hours the first day and then stopped for the night in Nebraska before continuing for another 10ish hours the next day.  The kids thought that sleeping in a hotel was amazing.  The weather on the drive home was clear and wonderful. although Tyler did poop h

July 2023 - Baby Ian

We had a blast at the Stadium of Fire Journey concert with Sara and Jason.  We also hosted a Swingle 4th of July party at our house.  Grandpa Swingle said that's the first time he's actually been able to light real fireworks in over a decade.  We decided we should make it a tradition to have them come up every year (or move here ;). Baby Ian was born and he is HUGE!  11 lb 1 oz.  Melissa's water broke at 7:30am, contractions started after that, and he was born at home with a team of paramedics with them in the outbuilding at 9am.   Fun fact: he was born on Ian Beagley's birthday and they share the same name. We spent an entire Saturday pulling down and cutting up dead trees.  We rented a wood splitter and went to town.  The kids were a big help.  We did our annual reading challenge to earn tickets to Lagoon.  Our rule is 1000 pages for every grade level finished, has to be during summer, and Alexa and Tyler both had to write a book report as well.  The kids did great! M